Tuesday, March 13, 2018

St. Patrick's Day: Whimsical Wee Folk


No matter one's heritage, the seventeenth of March is always a day to celebrate all things Irish. Whether whipping up authentic recipes from the Emerald Isle, imbibing in a hearty Guinness or adopting the wearing of the green, embracing a touch of Ireland, however small, on St. Patrick's Day is a fun way to brighten those wintry grey (at least here on the East Coast) not-quite-Spring days. 
Maybe it's the mystical magic of the Irish landscape, or its rich storytelling tradition, but few cultures share such an enchanting passion for whimsy and folklore, fairies and fantasy. This year I thought I'd create some Wee Folk of my own to join me in celebrating their homeland and add a little luck of the Irish to my day.

I can always count on The Graphics fairy for delightful vintage images to use in my projects and her collection of Irish images did not disappoint. While leprechauns are the norm, I chose some cheerful ladies in green along with the little seated gent.

Simply print out image and use as is or if desired embellish with your favorite craft or scrapbooking supplies you might have on hand.
after their makeover- I opted for gold and green puffy paint, stick on jewels and a dose of some glittery sparkle
I attached these Wee Folk to foam board for support. Impossible to cut neatly, I glued on a rough shape smaller than the image, adding a triangular prop. Not pretty but this works just fine to hold up these lightweight figures and remains unseen in the back.
Then simply set among your decor,
or add some Irish magic to teatime.....
with classic soda bread of course

or make a mini scene: One lass plays shepherdess under a cloche with some tiny white lambs
 (a wooly staple of the irish landscape) 

Short on time?- The original images feature charming sayings and backgrounds and can be printed out for quick cards, labels for baked treats, or festive decor. Find these and more on The graphics fairy

 You might recognize the same little gentleman in our Lucky Leprechaun Shoe craft from our past St. Patrick's post

Ireland, it's the one place on earth
That heaven has kissed
With melody, mirth,
And meadow and mist.
                                                         Irish Saying 

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

9 comments:

  1. Love the graphics!! Such a lovely St. Pat's post!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! These were lots of fun to make :)

      Delete
  2. Such a sweet post for St.Patrick’s Day ... I love the "Graphic Fairy” and you have created a lovely bit of Irish whimsy ...I can see your little paper dolls doing the jig( ha Ha)They’re so darn cute. ... I would enjoy sharing teatime and soda bread with you ..The Wee Folk magic has crafted it’s way my teatime today ..Thanks for sharing....Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Zaa,
      I love the graphics Fairy too and use her images all the time. I'm so delighted you enjoyed the post and are welcome to tea anytime :)

      Delete
  3. What a clever girl you are! I love the images offered by, The Graphics Fairy, but it never once occurred to me to attach them to foam board, add a little bling, and use them as standups. You did a beautiful job here, and your vignettes are adorable! Thanks for the wonderful idea. I really enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words!- Delighted you enjoyed the post
      I use the Graphics Fairy all the time and thought I'd try something a little different - they were so quick and easy to put together!
      Cheers!

      Delete
  4. Twinings Irish breakfast really does go perfectly with Irish soda bread. I always make it with part white and part whole wheat. I love that board the bread is on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot how much I enjoyed Irish breakfast tea :)
      This was a store bought soda bread but I'm going to attempt to make some over the weekend- Love the idea of using the two different wheats- Thanks for the idea!
      Cheers!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your comments and suggestions! Because of excessive spam we are currently asking for that pesky word verification