Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Nevermore.....


This time of year, I sometimes wonder if Edgar Allen Poe would be pleased that, more than 150 years later, his poem's namesake would be such a wildly popular Halloween accessory. 
Since I tend to embrace the eerier more mysterious side of the holiday, eschewing obvious ghoul and gore motifs, the raven is the perfect accent to lend a slightly spooky and otherworldly air to my decor. 
Last year I created a raven wreath so I thought I'd continue that theme this season with easy DIY accents featuring October's favorite feathered friend.


5 minute Raven Feather Globes
Seems the aisles of the craft stores are already filled with Christmas cheer so when I noticed the classic empty globe ornaments on sale, I figured I'd snatch up some early and put them to use before December rolls around.


I made two versions but there are infinite possibilities.
 For one, I popped in a printable raven image and feather and topped with a black bow. For the other I simply added a feather or two and topped with a gold ribbon and a printable "Nevermore". 
I rearranged the "fillings" carefully using a long skewer and suspended with fishing line.

Glass Globes,printout images, black feathers and assorted ribbon make up the supply list but glitter, beads or faux cobwebs would be fun too!

 made with images from the graphics fairy

Raven Cupcake Topper

A simple cupcake topper adorns store bought treats. 
Super Easy Supplies

Of course if unlike me you have a talent for baking, by all means use homemade cupcakes. I found black candy melts at my craft store and they are usually on sale around halloween.
I melted chocolate according to instructions and poured it into a ziplock baggie. (be careful it gets hot) After snipping a small hole in corner of thebaggie, I then traced free handed small ravens on wax paper (adding a "stem" to insert into cakes) 
I roughly outlined shaped on white paper and slid under wax paper as a guide. As always I made plenty of extras as these are very fragile and break easily when handled. When chocolate is completely cool carefully peel from back of paper. 
Have fun experimenting with words and shapes
Bon Appetite

I'm so delighted to be featured on
Rooted in Thyme's
Simple and Sweet Fridays!

Since PennyWise was brand new last October I thought I'd include
a quick Halloween Flashback
for Pennywise Readers who missed last year's post. Halloween Fun features the easy instructions

An easy DIY using Dollar store wreath and boas

A raven perches on white faux pumpkin which got a speedy makeover with temporary dollar store tattoos. 

A dollar glass globe becomes a crystal ball when filled with faux cobwebs and a flameless votive. Add a topper and set on a painted terra cotta saucer to complete the look. 



CPaul2013

Wishing Everyone A Magical Holiday!















24 comments:

  1. Oh I love all of that! Especially those little globes and the cupcakes. So much cute stuff, this year and last!
    Happy Halloween to you!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Gina! I stuck with the raven theme as I don't really do all out scary lol
      So glad you enjoyed the projects
      Happy halloween!

      Delete
  2. Stopping by from the Create It Thursday link up! I love all of this! I am a HUGE Poe fan! Pinning this for reference next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sara!
      I'm a Poe fan as well! His house is not far from me in the Phila suburbs. So glad you enjoyed the projects, please visit again soon!
      Happy halloween!

      Delete
  3. Once again, you have the best ideas that you make look easy...love those cupcake raven toppers AND the raven-inspired globes!

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Judith!
      Your so nice- These projects were were almost embarrassingly easy and fast- aside from my cats continually trying to "help" with the ravens.
      Thanks for your visit and kind words
      Happy Halloween!

      Delete
  4. Awesome Ravens - they look terrific - I appreciate you sharing your lovely post with A Return to Loveliness,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kathy!
      Just love your weekly parties- Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  5. All such great ideas - love the them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It might be my very favorite holiday! :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing these creative ideas at Simple & Sweet Fridays. I will be featuring you this week!!
    Hugs,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jody and Stan!
      I'm thrilled! I always look forward to your Ffiday parties!

      Delete
  7. I love these ornaments! Saw you featured at French Country Cottage! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going through my blog and missed your sweet comment! :)

      Delete
  8. Love this post so much I think you need to share it again with the Nevermore Rapport party, 2014.
    http://www.anniewalls.com/halloween-nevermore-rapport-blog-hop-2014/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Nevermore Party! how fabulous - thanks so much for telling me about it!

      Delete
  9. Can someone e-mail me at vampirella67@yahoo.com ? I purchased the glass balls - I printed out the Poe print outs . BUT when I pop the print outs in the globe, they do not stand up , they curl up or fall to the side . I cannot get mine to do what the tutorial does .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry - I somehow missed your comment! If you are interested in trying them for next season send me a message

      Delete
  10. I just love these globes! Like you, I lean more towards the mystical than the ghoulish and Inwas delighted to find your wonderful creations on Pinterest as a potential Yule decoration. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! These globes are so versatile - I use them year round - I'd love to see your Yule decorations! They're wonderful for winter with faux snow- I used them recently for a Spring theme inhttp://pennywiseblog.blogspot.com/2017/03/thinking-spring-tablescape-and-arhaus.html and made a summer firefly version with little lights

      Delete

Love to hear your comments and suggestions! Because of excessive spam we are currently asking for that pesky word verification